1. Not choosing the RIGHT agent. Here are a few things to look for when choosing the agent that is right for you:
- The right agent will answer their phone when you call, be professional, and get back to you in a timely manner.
- Honest and straightforward with you regarding the condition of your home and its performance on the market.
- Knowledgeable about the targeted neighbourhood.
- The ability to keep up with real estate market trends, news and activity.
2. Overpricing your home.
- Price is everything when marketing your home. If the price is too high, there is the risk of buyers not seeing the listing.
- You want to get as close to the real marketing value as possible.
- Even a well-priced home with a bad marketing plan will sell.
3. Failing to make simple repairs.
- Buyers often look for homes that require few repairs.
- Make a list of everything that is worn out, broken or defective.
- All minor damages around your home should be repaired before listing.
4. Neglecting to declutter.
- If your home is packed full of your possessions it can make your home look not just messy but a lot smaller.
- Having fewer items will make your home appear larger and more open.
- Only keep necessary pieces of furniture, get rid of everything that impedes traffic flow.
5. Not allowing adequate home-showing access.
- I’ve found that if a buyer wants to see a home but the seller tells them to come back another day, about 80% of them never do. Either that, or their agent never reschedules. This is why it’s important that your home is show-ready at all times.
6. Getting overly emotional when it’s time to sell your house.
- Do not be emotionally attached to your house, when it is time to sell, you need to think of it as just property.
- If you get a lowball offer or a buyer who plans on doing some remodelling, you shouldn’t take it personally as long as you end up getting the price you want.
- Don’t hesitate to accept a good offer just because the buyer doesn’t fit your vision.
Hope this guide was helpful, and please do not hesitate to contact me at 647.930.1888 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the purchase or sale of your home, investment advice or if you would just like more information.